Enabling activities are the physical activities to be undertaken at the site, primarily before the main airport works construction program begins. Enabling activities cover five packages of work, each with a separate tendering process and delivery timeframe.
- Geotechnical investigations and bedrock analysis including over 100 additional boreholes in the runway and taxiway areas.
- Land survey (including cadastral surveying to map the site and feature surveys), services locations and aerial photography.
- A 12-month program of air and noise monitoring both before and during construction works.
- Relocation of a 330-kilovolt high-voltage TransGrid transmission line from overhead to an underground cable route.
- Early earthworks to move approximately 1 million cubic metres of earth, and potential stockpiling for on-site fill materials.